Hi Phil:

I just finished comprehensive testing of PLplot on my new (Debian
Jessie) platform after making a fairly large number of changes (see
series of commits leading up to "5fde587 Build system: Complete
rewrite of file and target dependency logic for test targets"). There
appear to be no major problems (i.e., build issues or run-time
segfaults) with these tests.  However, these results have reminded me
of following on-going wxwidgets issues that do need to be addressed.

1. The -np option currently only allows you to see example pages for
an extremely short time for the wxwidgets device.  So effectively the
page is a useless blank. We previously discussed a fix for this
issue(don't blank screen until ready to plot each new page).  That, of
course, does not deal with the problem for a single page or last page
of a series of pages for a given example.  So maybe a better thing to
try would be a ~one-second display period for each page if the -np
option is on.  Anyhow, I hope you create a good fix for this problem
soon which should make it possible to (briefly) check for any
wxwidgets rendering issues as the pages automatically fly by.

2. 79 timeout warnings distributed fairly evenly (somewhere between
7 and 10 for each of the tests) among the
comprehensive tests, i.e.,

software@raven> find
../comprehensive_test_disposeable/*/interactive/output_tree -name "*.out"
|xargs grep "Failed to get text size from wxPLViewer - timeout" |sort |wc -l
79

software@raven> find
../comprehensive_test_disposeable/*/interactive/output_tree -name "*.out"
|xargs grep "Failed to get text size from wxPLViewer - timeout" |sort |uniq
--count
       9
../comprehensive_test_disposeable/nondynamic/interactive/output_tree/installed_make_interactive.out:Failed
 to get text size from wxPLViewer - timeout
       8
../comprehensive_test_disposeable/nondynamic/interactive/output_tree/make_interactive.out:Failed
 to get text size from wxPLViewer - timeout
       9
../comprehensive_test_disposeable/nondynamic/interactive/output_tree/traditional_make_interactive.out:Failed
 to get text size from wxPLViewer - timeout
      10
../comprehensive_test_disposeable/shared/interactive/output_tree/installed_make_interactive.out:Failed
 to get text size from wxPLViewer - timeout
       9
../comprehensive_test_disposeable/shared/interactive/output_tree/make_interactive.out:Failed
 to get text size from wxPLViewer - timeout
       7
../comprehensive_test_disposeable/shared/interactive/output_tree/traditional_make_interactive.out:Failed
 to get text size from wxPLViewer - timeout
       9
../comprehensive_test_disposeable/static/interactive/output_tree/installed_make_interactive.out:Failed
 to get text size from wxPLViewer - timeout
       9
../comprehensive_test_disposeable/static/interactive/output_tree/make_interactive.out:Failed
 to get text size from wxPLViewer - timeout
       9
../comprehensive_test_disposeable/static/interactive/output_tree/traditional_make_interactive.out:Failed
 to get text size from wxPLViewer - timeout

Is this large number of timeouts expected or is some timeout period
being set too short for the Linux case?

3. The wxwidgets device on Linux has just barely adequate speed, i.e.,
it is the slowest interactive device by far.  My (two) cpu's are
essentially idle through all wxwidgets tests so both your
implementation of the new wxwidgets device and the wxwidgets library
are not locking up the cpu at all. Therefore, my working hypothesis to
explain this issue is your IPC method for Linux forces the originating
app and wxPLViewer to wait long periods of time for each other's
response.  So it appears to me substantial experimentation with your
Linux IPC method and tuning of that method is required to address this
issue.