On 2015-12-21 11:37-0800 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> I too am really glad the process is working for you now, but I am also
> just as startled as you were by your discovery of an LF working
> directory.  Therefore, I would appreciate you systematically
> investigating this question further so we can draw some definite
> conclusions with regard to other attempts at Window/Unix
> communications via "git format-patch"/"git am" results.

In addition to the other experiments I asked you to perform, you
should also let us know the complete results of

git config --list

In particular I am wondering if

core.eol

is set.

That variable gives you complete control over the line endings used in
your working directory.  However, if using git config to set that
variable be sure you use the --global setting so that you do not
change the repository version of the config file for the rest of us
(see also
<https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Customizing-Git-Git-Configuration>).

Note, if core.eol is not set the default is "native" which I think
might be what you want.

However, here is the Key question: are you currently getting a LF
working directory because Cygwin sets core.eol to lf by default or
does Cygwin git assume that "native" really means a LF working
directory on Cygwin platforms?

Since your editing tools are likely happier with a CRLF working
directory, I think that is what you ultimately want.  Of course, that
likely means you will have to run any patch from me through a LF to
CRLF converter and use the "--keep-cr" option for "git am" (which
further reading tells me simply avoids doing the default change from
CRLF to LF, but also does not enforce CRLF if the patch file is LF).

Anyhow, I would take the time now to set up git line endings exactly
the way you want them based on your experiments editing files and
using git am.  That would be much better than enforcing LF now (say
with core.eol) just to keep git-am happy and regretting that
working-directory setting later once you start actually making further
changes with your favorite editor.