Hi Greg
I appreciate your frustrations. There is clearly a bug somewhere. t is
just a case of finding it and deterimining which side of the
GDL/plplot boundary it lies on - or if it is a Plplot documentation or
error checking issue. Clearly any call to plplot which results in a
segfault/crash of any sort is bad.

For some reason I can't build the gcc driver on my system (Windows
10), so I am doing this with the wxWidgets driver

>> Ok I can simply build plplot without the bop() in rdbuf_bop and now I ask,
>> which example does it affect in linux?

I have just stepped through the function calls with the wxWidgets
driver in the Visual Studio debugger.The only thing that the plbop()
call at the end of rdbuf_bop() does is call plP_subpInit(), this is
because plsc->page_status is set to AT_BOP already. In this case all
that is actually done is to check that the number of sub pages in each
direction is > 0, set the current subpage to 0 and set the text and
tick mark sizes. Actually it turns out there is a bug here and the
text size is not set correctly for x03 because the orientation change
is not saved which affects the scale. I am looking to fix that now.

Regarding the specific bug with GDL and gcc driver. The gcc driver
should not actually called by the plbop() call. It would only get
called if plsc->page_status was not already AT_BOP.

Greg, can I ask what the specific call order to plplot is and how do
you end up making use of the buffer in the first place? For example do
you plot with gcc then the error occurs during a resize? Has plinit
already been called (directly or indirectly)? Do you do something a
bit more unusual such as initially set the buffer to null, do the
plotting to generate the buffer, then use plcpstrm() to copy to the
gcc driver?

Phil