I'd like to make a pitch for maintaining a lower general cmake minimum
until
more compelling  bug fixes or features are introduced.
 I have over 6 platforms standardized on cmake 3.3.2.
Maybe the new version requirement should be restricted to those platforms
where they are needed?  And an update message issued for those that are
not required to update? (i.e. "cmake 3.6.2 looks really spiffy; try it and
avoid
seeing this annoying message!")

Greg