> I do agree that just as with the IM display GUI, there would be
> external factors (such as bad compositing for your desktop display)
> that might or might not allow this to work, but sometimes it does work
> (i.e., the user can get a cool effect where they create an interactive
> plot on a semitransparent background where they could see through the
> plot to some details from the underlying desktop). This already
> happens for the display of file devices (at least those which conform
> to the above model).  So if users have this desire, I don't think our
> library should get in the way just in case the user has external
> factors that allow this to work.  And I don't think there is much
> downside to this approach; that is "not working due to external
> factors" here means that the background is opaque or a checkerboard
> rather than the plot does not work at all.
>

> So I now think the interactive model should be that there is a canvas
> provided which could be an opaque rectangle of a given color, an
> image, text, or even (I argue above) the current desktop display.
> Anyhow, our library should not care a bit about the nature of that
> canvas and for each interactive page it should simply start with that
> canvas, lay down a semitransparent background, and then render the
> rest of the plot commands for the page.
>
> My impression is that currently our interactive device drivers don't
> follow this model at all for multiple pages and instead simply render
> a background (on the incorrect assumption it is always opaque) to
> overlay previous pages.  So moving from this model to the one above is
> going to be a significant amount of work for each device driver, but I
> think such work would be extremely worthwhile if we come to consensus
> that the above interactive model is what we want.

The wxWidgets drivers certainly does as you say - it's response to
plclear is to simply draw a rectangle of the appropriate colour. If
that colour was transparent then I think we end up drawing over some
default window background which I think is black, but I'm not sure -
perhaps it depends on the window type, and it may even be unassigned
memory.

I can go with the idea of transparent windows - I have just checked
and wxWidgets does have the capability to do transparent windows - we
will see how well tested that code is I guess.

Would you be interested in writing an example (prefereably multipaged)
Alan? Perhaps this could just be one of the existing examples with a
transparent background or a flag for transparent backgrounds. I will
then try and get the wxWidgets driver to do as it should for that
example.