On 2016-02-27 23:22-0000 Phil Rosenberg wrote:

> I do agree that memory allocations should not cause exits.
[...]
A failure of a single very large allocation does not always imply
the OS is in crisis.

I now agree.

> Yes I'm happy to start putting an exception based error propagation
together.

Thanks very much for being willing to actively lead this effort.

> Perhaps it would be good for Hazen and Alan to start looking
in more detail at implementing the error code propagation? If there
are tools to help with that, then maybe it will be easier than I
suspect.

I am now confident of the return code method because of the
'warn_unused_result' gcc attribute capability, but let's not even
start the substantial work required for this alternative unless it is
made necessary because you run into some showstopper issue with the C
exception-based alternative.

> I started putting a plmalloc and similar set of functions together
today. I'll drop those round for comments asap.

Good idea, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the
design of plmalloc and similar.  Also, I would be happy to help
propagate the use of plmalloc and similar throughout our code base
immediately in this release cycle thus effectively getting rid of all
those cases where we have previously been lazy about checking for
memory allocation errors.