Here is the status of the planned release of 5.12.0.

I.  One of the major improvements for 5.12.0 is the new Fortran
binding, and Arjen and I thought we were completely done with that
implementation when we got good test results for both gfortran and
ifort months ago. However, two months ago, Wadud Miah demonstrated
that the new Fortran binding would not build on Linux for the nagfor
compiler (which has the reputation of being the most
standards-compliant Fortran compiler available).  One issue that
absorbed a lot of Arjen's time and which will likely need to be
addressed after 5.12.0 is release is that CMake does not yet have
proper support for the nagfor compiler on Windows. Fortunately, Arjen
does have access to Linux (where CMake does support nagfor) and was
able to sort out the large number of standards compliancy issues
discovered in our Fortran binding by that compiler.  Near the end of
Arjen's work, it became apparent that we needed a massive style change
for our Fortran binding that would remove some 600 lines of duplicated
code from it. I have just now completed that style change, and the
result gives perfect comprehensive tests results on Linux with
gfortran.  So the current status for I. is we are essentially done
with the new Fortran binding, but Arjen still has to do comprehensive
Fortran testing on his 4 different Fortran platforms (nagfor/Linux,
gfortran/Cygwin, gfortran/MinGW-w64/MSYS2, and ifort/MSVC) to confirm
that my massive style change has not introduced any errors or new
warning issues.  And once that is completed, we will also ask Wadud to
run the comprehensive Fortran test on his own Linux platform and also
evaluate the new Fortran binding again for his own Fortran plotting
purposes.

II. One of the major improvements planned for 5.12.0 is to greatly
improve our DocBook documentation including making it much less
specific to C and including a complete update of the Fortran chapter.
I have made a lot of progress on this topic, and I hope to merge the
results to master within a week.

III. Arjen has also been working on his project to support only the
redacted argument lists in Tcl.  My understanding is that topic is
almost completely matured so the prospects of getting this into 5.12.0
are good.

IV. I have a number of additional topics on my ToDo list so I may be
able to squeeze some of those in during the one-month Fortran test period
(see below).

V. Other topics merged by our other active developers during the
Fortran test period?  Please let me know of any plans you may have
in this regard.

VI. Fortran test period.  Once I and II have been completed, then I
plan to publicly ask on the plplot-general mailing list for all
interested Fortran users of PLplot (supported by our new
documentation) to (i) run the comprehensive Fortran test on their
platform of choice, and/or (ii) to evaluate the new Fortran binding
for their own plotting purposes.  I assume this whole Fortran test
period will take something like a month.

Thus, I plan to freeze merges of major topic branches to the master
branch roughly one month from now (end of July), and after comprehensive
testing and debugging of any issues found during that testing, release based on
that master branch a couple of weeks (mid August) after that.

N.B. the ETA for both those release milestones depends critically on
how much participation we get for the Fortran testing month and how
much effort will be required to fix any Fortran binding bugs found
during that testing. However, I am hoping that our nagfor experience
has flushed out most if not all our remaining Fortran binding bugs so
that we will be able to stick fairly closely to those two ETA's.