On 2016-07-19 16:48-0600 Orion Poplawski wrote:

> -- OCTAVE_VERSION = 4.0.3
> -- WARNING: Octave-4 has been found which is likely to lead to build errors
> for PLplot.
> -- WARNING: TRY_OCTAVE4 = ON so experimentally trying Octave-4
>
> Is this still experimental?  Octave 4 has been out for a while now.

Hi Orion:

Yes, I believe Octave-4 is still experimental.  Part of the issue is I don't
have good
access to Octave 4 at this time so I have to rely on other's
comprehensive test reports.  So far Arjen is the only one that has
done that for the Octave-4 case.  He ran the equivalent of

scripts/comprehensive_test.sh --cmake_added_options "-DDEFAULT_NO_DEVICES=ON
-DPLD_ps=ON  -DDEFAULT _NO_BINDINGS=ON -DENABLE_octave=ON -DTRY_OCTAVE4=ON"
--do_test_interactive no

for his Cygwin platform.  From the report tarball generated by that
script, it appears the octave binding and examples
built with no obvious issues, but at run-time there were UTF-8 related
errors such as

*** PLPLOT ERROR, ABORTING OPERATION ***
UTF-8 string is malformed: Фазовый сдви<D0>@, aborting operation

so my impression is we are close, but not there yet at least on
Cygwin.

If you would be willing to run the same script (which I believe will
take only ~10 minutes or so because of all the above constraints to
limit the test just to Octave and the ps device driver) and send me
the report tarball that is generated (typically in
../comprehensive_test_disposeable/comprehensive_test.tar.gz), then I
will know a lot more about how mature our Octave-4 support is on
Linux.  Of course, if you have success, then I would plan to change
our build system to only emit the above octave-4 WARNING messages only
for non-Linux platforms.  Or if you have exactly the same run-time
failure as Arjen, and know of a patch to fix it, that would be great
as well.