Hi Arjen:

Thanks for your report.

On 2016-11-15 11:59-0000 Arjen Markus wrote:

> I ran the comprehensive tests for Cygwin and MinGW (no interactive
tests) as well as the interactive comprehensive tests for Cygwin. The
non-interactive tests were perfect for both platforms. But I had some
trouble with the set of interactive tests [....]

> [out of order] The oddities seem to be related to Cygwin and the set-up I
> use, rather than the redacted Tcl interface.

That sounds promising, and I may have some further comments about
those oddities once I see the tarball report(s) from running
scripts/comprehensive_test.sh that I request below.

I hope "MinGW" is shorthand for MinGW-w64/MSYS2 for the reasons we
have discussed before, but could you confirm that please?

Also, you appear to be having some trouble with the interactive
case and did not report back any *.out results.  Therefore, I have now
changed my mind and would like you to run true comprehensive tests (if
you were not doing that before).  That is, please run
scripts/comprehensive_test.sh and send me the report tarball that
creates to give me all the data I need to make intelligent comments on
your results.  To keep those tests short and to the point of testing
just the Tcl/Tk bindings and examples, I highly recommend the

--cmake_added_options "-DDEFAULT_NO_DEVICES=ON -DPLD_ntk=ON -DPLD_tk=ON
-DPLD_tkwin=ON -DPLD_xwin=ON -DPLD_ps=ON -DDEFAULT_NO_BINDINGS=ON
-DENABLE_tcl=ON -DENABLE_tk=ON -DENABLE_itcl=ON -DENABLE_itk=ON"

option for scripts/comprehensive_test.sh.  Also, for now, I would
limit it to the shared case for just the build tree (i.e., the test I
requested before from you, but with the better report facilities
provided by this script) using the

--do_nondynamic no --do_static no --do_test_install_tree no
--do_test_traditional_install_tree no

script options.

> -        The Cygwin interactive tests ran for some 5 hours - then I
> interrupted the script. I came across the same tests so many times that I
> started to suspect an infinite loop. Not sure what to make of it.

As I recall, your previous Cygwin interactive tests were incredibly
slow (because those tests [other than the ones that use -dev ntk] are
all done directly or indirectly with X, and Cygwin X is very slow). So
5 hours might be typical if you are running all our interactive tests
for all our major configurations, and for build tree, install tree,
and traditional install tree. So when you attempt to do this again
using scripts/comprehensive_test.sh, make sure to limit what is tested
as I recommend above.  I would hope that severe limiting of the
components, the build configurations, and the trees that are tested
would allow both the interactive and noninteractive parts of this test
to complete in a much more reasonable length of time.

> -        Some of the programs running the NTK device did not produce any
> graphs, which is odd.

The point of these mass interactive tests is to check for important
run-time issues such as segfaults with all our interactive devices.
But clicking through all the pages of those results by hand would get
old very quickly.  So to make that burden a lot lighter these mass
tests use the -np option.

But if you compare the results from

examples/c/x00c -dev ntk -np

and

examples/c/x00c -dev ntk

you may find the former just gives you a "flash" of the final result
on the screen which may be hard to see.

When in doubt you can run the latter form of the command by hand, but
that would get old very quickly if you were doing that for all our
standard examples and all our interactive devices!  :-)