On 2016-11-17 16:25-0500 Hazen Babcock wrote:

> On 11/17/2016 04:49 AM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>>
>> So you will want to try that version as well.
>
> I'm still seeing the same problem.
>
>> However, if the example 2 memory management issues continue to show up
>> for qt4 (in contradiction to my good valgrind result above), then I
>> suspect your Qt4
>> library is not a very good one (since I am getting good results with
>> the Debian Jessie Qt4 library for all our standard examples).  So I
>> don't think it is worth your time trying to figure out this issue which
>> is very likely not our problem.
>>
>> For the record what version of Qt4 and what Linux distro are you
>> running?
>
> $ qmake-qt4 --version
> QMake version 2.01a
> Using Qt version 4.8.7 in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux hbabcock-laptop2 4.4.0-47-generic #68-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 26 19:39:52
> UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> $ lsb_release -a
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
> Release:      16.04
> Codename:     xenial
>
> Back in 2010 we decided that it was a difference between the Gnome and KDE
> desktops.

Hi Hazen:

I run a Debian Jessie KDE4 desktop (which depends on Qt4) in a really
basic way. (I do almost everything interesting using the command-line
available from an xterm.) But for that basic use the combination works
well as a desktop (e.g., essentially no run-time issues at all), and I
attribute that success to the Debian developers pretty much sticking
with the "vanilla" versions of KDE and Qt4.  And my recent PLplot tests
confirm the quality of the Debian Jessie version of Qt4.

In contrast to Debian, Ubuntu does have a long-standing and well known
bad track record for KDE/Qt support with the problem always seeming to
be they attempt to change it in a non-careful way from the "vanilla"
original designed carefully by the KDE and Qt developers.  Anyhow, the
result always tends to be buggy, and that seems to be confirmed by the
memory management issues you are encountering for Qt4 on Ubuntu.  I
think Ubuntu has one of the worst Qt track records in this regard so I
would suggest using a different distro such as Debian or a
Debian-based distro that is specifically not based on Ubuntu if you
want to get the best results for our qt devices.