Hi Hazen:

P.S.  This further comment assumes that generating a python3 binding
is fairly trivial, i.e., nothing much more than using the -py3 option
to swig. If your experiments confirm that assumption holds, then I
suggest you should define a CMake option called PLPLOT_USE_PYTHON3. If
the user sets that to ON, the build system generates and uses a
python3 binding (using, e.g., that -py3 option to swig), and if OFF it
generates and uses a python2 binding (which we will likely want to
support indefinitely in any case).  With that either/or organization
between the two cases, the names of the modules we build will be
identical in the two cases, and the examples should just work
regardless of whether the binding is python2 or python3 (assuming you
can convert the syntax of the examples so that they work both with
python-2.7 and python-3.0).