On 2016-12-08 01:52-0500 Pedro Vicente wrote:

> Hi Alan
>
> I have a wxWidgets application that I developed for Windows and Linux that
> uses PLplot .
>
> I started having a segfault on the *Linux* only version.
>
> Debugging in Windows is a breeze with Visual Studio.
>
> For Linux I was able to make a QtCreator project to debug (yes, Qt debugging
> wxWidgets !)
>
> However when I try to step into the PLplot code, there is no step into,
> because probably debugging symbols were not built
>
> I used the following cmake call
>
> cmake ..  -G "Unix Makefiles" -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL=OFF
> -DENABLE_f95:BOOL=OFF -DENABLE_tcl:BOOL=OFF -DENABLE_tk:BOOL=OFF
> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/data/data127/pvicente/install/plplot-5.11.1
> -DPL_HAVE_PTHREAD:BOOL=OFF -DPLD_xwin:BOOL=OFF -DPLD_wxwidgets:BOOL=ON
> -DwxWidgets_ROOT_DIR:PATH=/data/data127/pvicente/install/wxwidgets-3.1.0
> -DwxWidgets_LIB_DIR:PATH=/data/data127/pvicente/install/wxwidgets-3.1.0/lib
> -DwxWidgets_CONFIGURATION=mswud -DENABLE_MIX_CXX=ON
> -DwxWidgets_EXCLUDE_COMMON_LIBRARIES:BOOL=OFF
>

> this is more probably a cmake question, but I am not that familiar with
> cmake, so the question is,
> how can I add debug symbols to PLPlot for  the above cmake call?

Hi Pedro:

I think there are some specific CMake options for making sure the -g
option is used on all compilations, but the one I always use is to set
the appropriate environment variables (which CMake recognizes as
well).  So before executing cmake in an initially empty build tree do
something like the following:

export CXXFLAGS=-g
export CFLAGS=-g
export FFLAGS=-g

I always just use the command line to build (with make) and debug
(with gdb) rather than some IDE like QtCreator, but I assume setting
the above environment variables will insure the QtCreator builds will
be done with the -g option so that you can debug (likely with gdb
doing the work in the background) with that IDE as well.