Hi (again) Phil:

Two further thoughts.

* All those preprocessing directives and fprintf calls I inserted make
it extremely hard to understand the code.  Thus, feel free to revert
my two commits completely that inserted the debug output in
PLMemoryMap:create and PLMemoryMap:close when you finally isolate
exactly what system call is causing the long pause.  But make that
reverting commit a clean one (nothing else then exactly reverting my
changes alone) to make it easy to reinstate my debug output again if
we ever need it again.  And I suggest you use a similar process for
the debugging printout you insert (i.e., one clean commit to put in
your own debug printout statements, one clean commit to remove that
code again once you finally isolate the issue).

* You will have to look at what your further debug print statements
say to get the definitive answer, but my current guess is a call from
-dev wxwidgets to some method of PLNamedMutex (or PLNamedMutexLocker)
will turn out to be the cause of the long-pause issue.