Hmm
And the fact that the wx libraries that were found have the suffix u,
suggests they were built with Unicode support. Perhaps the compile
issue you had was because plplot was not built with the Unicode flag
on. As I said instructions are on the wiki to do this for a visual
studio build at
https://sourceforge.net/p/plplot/wiki/Configure_PLplot_for_the_Visual_Studio_IDE/,
but I don't know how one would do it in MSYS. Perhaps setting the same
flags would do it.

Phil