On 2016-12-14 10:10-0500 Pedro Vicente wrote:

> Hi Alan
>
>>> spend an hour or so inserting write statments until I finally
>>> identify
>>> the Linux system call that is causing the long pause.
>
> debugging with write statements is for me the last option.
> it's ok for small bits of our own code, but in cases where you need to
> go deep into third
> party libraries's code it's no fun.

Hi Pedro:

I also normally prefer to use gdb (the Linux debugger that you are
also running from your Linux IDE) for debugging rather than
old-fashioned insertion of write statements to debug.  Nevertheless,
in this special case we likely have a time-dependent race condition
between two processes that are running (and just for the case when
they are running for the second time too close to when they ran
before).  So for this special case I believe the old-fashioned debug
methods are likely the best.

By the way, since putting off the const correctness topic until post
release, I feel much more on top of the release process, and I am
extremely curious about the cause of this "long pause" issue in case
there turns out to be a simple fix.  So if I don't hear from Phil by
later today that he is spent the required hour himself, I will likely
insert sufficient write statements in the -dev wxwidgets code and
wxPLViewer code to finally pin down the exact system call that is
causing the long pause.