On 2016-12-16 00:26-0000 Phil Rosenberg wrote:

> Unfortunately I don't think I have enough space to install virtualbox.
> I presume I need a few 10s of GB for an Ubuntu install?
>
> I have also just tried on the Bash on Ubuntu on Windows (still trying
> to decide if I like this or Cygwin best. Anyway...). Again everything
> works fine on this (I'm using Xming for my X server).
>
> Is there something different with the X server or something in a
> VirtualBox install?

Yes, the X server is different for VirtualBox.  For example, my
understanding is they have implemented their own X device when Linux
is the host, and presumably something different again when Windows is
the host (as in Pedro's case). (By chance I happen to know this bit of arcane
knowledge from my couple of years of lurking on the Intel X driver
list in an attempt to help me figure out some glitches in how the Intel
Linux X driver was working for my Intel video chip.)

> I suspect that you are correct Alan and this is a subtle VitualBox
> thing. We should create a minimum working example of a wxFrame using
> the two stage creation totally independent of plplot and see if this
> works. If it doesn't then we know this is a VirtualBox/wxWidgets bug.
> If it does then we can start adding complexity to find where it
> breaks.

If you could implement that great idea for looking at this issue
deeper, it would be great. Note I plan to merge Pedro's fix (once he
gets it to me in format-patch form) and let it ride for the release or
until you can figure this out if that happens before the release.