Hi Jim
Good luck with the restoration. If this helps for the future then as a
windows user you can get 1 TB of OneDrive space as part of an Office
365 subscription. I basically symlinked my Documents folder into my
OneDrive folder so that everything I do gets continually synced with
the cloud.

Anyway, as far as git is concerned I use Git within Cygwin even for my
Windows development. I always feel the Linux environment that goes
along with this gives the best development environment. You could
probably get an identical setup by using the new Bash on Ubuntu on
Windows feature if you are using Windows 10. Windows now ships with
the ability to install a native but stripped down (command line only)
version of Ubuntu within Windows. This runs native Linux executables
and you have access to apt-get so it's pretty handy!

Phil