On 2017-05-08 08:03-0000 Arjen Markus wrote:

> Hi Alan, Chris,
>

> I tried the same thing with MinGW-w64/MSYS2. This succeeded in so far, that:
>
> -        CMake produced a full report and makefiles

Assuming the form I suggested on Cygwin

cmake  .... "-CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=d:/plplot-src/install with spaces"

does work there, please check that same form (used by the
comprehensive test script) works on this platform as well.

> -        make succeeded
>
> -        make install succeeded as well

Congratulations.  This is all very encouraging.

> -        making the examples worked, except for Java - the path to the Java
> compiler was not quoted

Interesting.  According to <http://repo.msys2.org/mingw/x86_64/>,
MinGW-w64/MSYS2 does not provide Java.  The conclusion that this is a
non-platform version of Java also seems to be confirmed by the space
in the Java compiler pathname since I assume this particular test was
for an ordinary "non-space" installation of this platform.  If it is
true this is a non-platform Java, I am pretty sure you are going to
have ABI issues when attempting to use it on MinGW-w64/MSYS2 so you
should take some measure to exclude Java there.  Brute force would be
-DENABLE_java=OFF (with a big note in your submission script), but
perhaps a better overall choice would be to adjust your PATH on this
platform so CMake does not find non-platform software like this.

That said, note if this version of Java is ABI compatible with the
MSVC compilers, then it should be expected to work for your MSVC
tests, and the case (4) issue you have found with our build system
(Java compiler not quoted) will need to be addressed, and I look
forward to your commit to that effect.

And by the way, I thought you had solved some Tcl build system issue?
If so, you should commit it before you lose it.

> -        running a C example didn't work, as the drivers are not installed
> The latter is an omission in the installation procedure - I never noticed
> that before but I seldom use this full build procedure.

I am virtually positive from your and Greg's previous comprehensive
test successes on this platform that "make install" does install the
drivers.  However, if you look at the comprehensive test script,
special measures had to be used to put the installed driver location
on the PATH.  But I hasten to add this PATH change should only be done
when the install tree is being tested, and otherwise (e.g., when
testing the build tree) the installation location for the drivers
should be removed from the PATH (as you will see the comprehensive
test script implements).