On 2017-06-29 19:52-0000 Arjen Markus wrote:

Hi Alan,

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan W. Irwin [mailto:ir...@beluga.phys.uvic.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:44 PM

I am now looking forward to your -fabi-version=8 wxwidgets results for
MinGW-w64/MSYS2 as well as your wxwidgets results for MSVC.

I added the option -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-fabi-version=8" to the CMake
invocation and that did the trick insofar that the runtime error
message about the ABI mismatch has disappeared.

Hi Arjen:

I was pretty sure, the -fabi-version=8 workaround would solve the ABI
mismatch, but it is great to get that confirmed.  However, apparently
from comments made on the MSYS2 list it is just a temporary workaround
for ABI problems the MinGW-w64/MSYS2 platform currently has
(apparently from ABI consistency errors that sometimes occur for their
non-automated official build system).  But, of course, once that
MinGW-w64/MSYS2 official build issue is solved, then your subsequent
system update will get another error box from wxwidgets which will
have to be solved by likely removing the above workaround. However, if
removal does not work, then (as now) you can read the ABI number of
the libraries from the error message (which was 1008 in your present
error message), subtract 1000 from it and adopt that value for n when
setting -fabi-version=n.

but still no luck otherwise:
< 8> wxwidgets  wxWidgets Driver
< 9> svg        Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG 1.1)
<10> pdf        Portable Document Format PDF
<11> pdfcairo   Cairo PDF Driver
<12> pscairo    Cairo PS Driver
<13> epscairo   Cairo EPS Driver
<14> svgcairo   Cairo SVG Driver
<15> pngcairo   Cairo PNG Driver
<16> memcairo   Cairo Memory Driver
<17> extcairo   Cairo External Context Driver
<18> wincairo   Cairo Microscoft Windows Driver

Enter device number or keyword:
*** PLPLOT WARNING ***
wxPLViewer failed to signal it has found the shared memory.

markus@L01259 MINGW64 /d/plplot-svn/build-mingw-alt/examples/c
$ ../../utils/wxPLViewer

wxPlViewerApp::OnInit: error when creating wxPlFrame instance.  The
message was Error initializing the shared memory and/or mutex needed
for the application. The application will close

markus@L01259 MINGW64 /d/plplot-svn/build-mingw-alt/examples/c
$

Running an example with the wxWidgets driver gave the message about
wxPLViewer failing and running the wxPLViewer independently gave the
error about the shared memory/mutex.

I assume this issue is due to some programming error in my Windows
variant of the 3-semaphores IPC approach, but it should be a small
error because the Posix variant of that code works fine for the Linux
case, and the code differences between these two variants are small.
In fact, those Windows differences are simply in low-level syntax
about how the three semaphores are created, initialized and used, for
the Windows case, and I copied that syntax from the old IPC code.
Anyhow, whatever the logic error it is very likely appearing somewhere
in the code where #ifdef win32 logic blocks appear inside #ifdef
PL_WXWIDGETS_IPC3 logic blocks.  If I don't spot anything inside those
limited code areas (and assuming you don't beat me to finding the
error yourself) I plan to commit some extra debug output near where
your error messages above state the error is occurring in the code,
and get back to you (likely during this weekend) asking for a test
that emits those debug messages.