On 2017-08-26 13:15-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

[...]
Plplot continues to work fine for
python2 aside from the relatively rare corruption issue for
bindings/python/Plframe.pyc [... which will likely go away once I figure out
how to
move to a single name-spaced import of PLframe.

Hi Ole:

That turned out to be an easy fix (see commit 1b93965) so I assume
that corruption issue (that only occurred intermittently for Python2)
is now gone.

So I suggest if you still want to build a python2 package for PLplot,
that you do that in a separate build where both python2 and
python-numpy are available and you use the cmake option
-DFORCE_PYTHON2=ON.  In that case and assuming that Python2 and
python-numpy are installed, our build system will do the right thing
with regard to building the Python2 plplot module using consistent
Python2 library and numpy versions, and also use the correct install
location for the resulting Python2 plplot module.  Also, this extra
build does not need to cost you very much since you can use
(-DFORCE_PYTHON2=ON -DDEFAULT_NO_DEVICES=ON -DPLD_extqt=ON
-DDEFAULT_NO_BINDINGS=ON -DENABLE_python=ON -DENABLE_qt=ON
-DENABLE_pyqt4=ON) to, for example, configure a build and install of
just the minimum PLplot components you need to support both python and
pyqt4 under Python2.

You have already said that you decided to simplify your life by not
trying the above approach to support Python2.  But PLplot (after the
above commit) now works well both for Python2 and Python3, and it
would be a shame if either Debian Python2 or Python3 users did not
have access to PLplot. Furthermore, assuming you have since decided to
support both Python-3.5 and Python-3.6 with two separate builds, then
adding a third build as above to support Python2 should be
straightforward for you.  So I hope you decide to go ahead and do
that.