Does anyone have any objections to me deprecating plshade1 for this
next release, to be followed up by removing it altogether in the
next release?

plshade1 differs from plshade only in the type of its first argument
(pointer to a contiguous block of memory that contains nx by ny matrix
values rather than the more general PLFLT_MATRIX type used for the
first argument of plshade.)  So my impression is plshade1 is not
too useful, and indeed it is not used in any examples other
than the C and Ada example 15, and those calls should be
straightforward to replace by the equivalent calls to plshade.

Therefore, unless one of you has a strong objection, I plan to remove
plshade1 entirely from Ada and deprecate its use in C
starting in a couple of days.