On 2017-10-05 00:57+0100 Phil Rosenberg wrote:

The my cmake command and its output are attached. I noted particularly the lines

-- Looking for gdi32 header and library
-- Looking for gdi32 header and library - not found
-- WARNING: Setting PLD_wingcc to OFF.

I do set the cmake lib directory in my command to point it to the
location of shapelib, I don't know if that affects anything.

Setting CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH to help CMake find shapelib should not
interfere with CMake's ability to find other libraries.

I am on Windows 10 64 bit.

Thanks for that important information concerning your Windows version.

The cmake messages above come from cmake/modules/wingcc.cmake and the
first part of the relevant logic is

  find_library(GDI32_LIBRARY gdi32 HINTS ${MINGWLIBPATH} ${BORLANDLIBPATH})
  if(GDI32_LIBRARY)
      find_library(COMDLG32_LIBRARY comdlg32 HINTS ${MINGWLIBPATH}
${BORLANDLIBPATH})
  endif(GDI32_LIBRARY)

If you read through the rest of the logic, the above output is telling
you that either the gdi32 (gdi) or comdlg32 (dialog box) libraries
cannot be found by CMake in standard system locations (as determined
by CMake) for your platform.

What does your cache file say about the variables GDI32_LIBRARY and
(possibly) COMDLG32_LIBRARY?  From those values you can determine
whether gdi32 was not found (and therefore comdlg32 never looked for)
or gdi32 found but comdlg32 not found.

If both those libraries are installed on your system but in a
non-standard location that CMake doesn't know about, then
you may have to give CMake a hint where they are by setting
CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH appropriately.

However, I suspect instead the problem may be that the GDI API and
Dialog Box API (which apparently are still used heavily on all Windows platforms
including Windows 10) are located in libraries with names other than
gdi32 and comdlg32 for your 64-bit Windows 10 platform.  If so, and
you know those alternate names, then all you have to do is to change
the above logic to

  find_library(GDI32_LIBRARY NAMES gdi32 <alternate name for gdi32> HINTS
${MINGWLIBPATH} ${BORLANDLIBPATH})
  if(GDI32_LIBRARY)
      find_library(COMDLG32_LIBRARY NAMES comdlg32 <alternate name for
comdlg32> HINTS ${MINGWLIBPATH} ${BORLANDLIBPATH})
  endif(GDI32_LIBRARY)

@Arjen and Jim:

Please chime in as well especially on the question of what library
names provide the GDI API and Dialog Box API for the 64-bit Windows 10
platform if Phil doesn't figure those names out before you.