On 2017-10-10 06:52-0400 Jim Dishaw wrote:

[....]
I read the MSDN Documentation as well as the Intel, MinGW, and GNU compiler
documentation.

The WIN32 should not be used and appears to be an older convention   The MSDN
and Intel documentation define _WIN32 and _WIN64. MinGW appears to be following
MSDN, which makes sense.

Moving away from WIN32 will break builds on older platforms that we no longer
support, but I don’t think that is a problem.

I would stay away from __WIN32__ as that is not in the MSDN documentation.

To Arjen and Jim:

@Arjen:

Thanks for running that quick check (in a different post than the
above) on Cygwin which gave the expected result, but it is always good
to be sure.

@Jim:

Thanks very much for that clear advice above. I agree with you the
proposed change (to move strictly to _WIN32) will break builds for
older versions of compilers that we don't support in any case.  But
with modern versions of Intel, MSVC, gcc, and clang compilers all
providing the _WIN32 macro for their pure native Windows builds, I
would frankly be amazed if modern versions of much less popular
compilers (e.g., Borland and Watcom) did not provide that macro as
well.  So I have decided to go ahead with this proposed change.

@Those here with access to Windows:

Accordingly I have now replaced use of the WIN32 and __WIN32__ macros
with the _WIN32 macro throughout our C and C++ source code (commit
14ecc4b).  This is an intrusive change so I would appreciate tests of
it on all Windows compilers and Windows platforms (e.g., MSVC, Cygwin,
and MinGW-w64/MSYS2) accessible to you.