On 2018-01-05 13:38-0000 Arjen Markus wrote:

[...]

That [extra printouts of locations reached] limits the possibilities
considerably ;). I have narrowed it further to the call of
max_cstring_length, but of course this is merely the location where it
is noted something is wrong, not necessarily the cause.

Hi Arjen:

Your experiments appear to have nailed exactly where the issue was. So
much thanks for that work!  As a direct result of that work I
discovered I had forgotten an essential slice specification in the
call to max_cstring_length which I have now fixed (commit 70ec495).
As a result my strong expectation is your next test of Fortran example
1 for the allocated length and size case will give perfect results for
both modern gfortran and ifort.

By the way, this fix has nothing to do with the gfortran-4.9.2 issue
where the allocate length and size command in plget_arguments_dynamic
(that already works for your modern gfortran and ifort cases)
overflows when doing a simple internal calculation of the amount of
memory needed.  I double-checked with gdb that the length and size are
properly defined for that allocate command.  Therefore my conclusion
must be that gfortran-4.9.2 is just plain broken for such allocate
commands (while your ifort and more modern gfortran are obviously not
broken in this regard).