I am happy to report that with some help from Nils Gladitz on the
CMake list a long-standing PLplot issue where parallel builds of test
targets (e.g., test_noninteractive) had groups of ascii nul ('\0')
characters inserted into the output has now been fixed.  The fix (see
the log message for commit a4bada0048 for more details) was to address
name clashes in the plplot_test test scripts that I had introduced
more than a decade (!) ago in commit 7e39e59f2b.

Other PLplot development news is I have been using my new computer
with Debian Buster installed to solve a number of issues like this
current one that I have been reminded of by my recent
test_noninteractive results in the build tree for the shared libraries
case.  For example, later today I plan to make the final commit in
this series that will solve all valid warning messages that have shown
up with the latest versions (from Debian Buster) of software libraries
that PLplot depends on.  I then plan to follow up by doing the same
thing for ctest, the test_interactive target, and all major
configurations and build trees covered by the comprehensive_test.sh
script.  Then push upstream octave and lua to fix some obvious
upstream regressions I have discovered during these tests to achieve
on the new computer the perfect PostScript difference reports that I
was achieving on my old computer that had (very) old versions of
software libraries installed from Debian Jessie.  And finally, I plan
to go back to the PLplot ToDo list I was pursuing before the advent of
this new computer interrupted everything in a good way.