On 2018-12-31 11:28-0800 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

[...] by the following temporary changes to
qt_example:

   argc = 1;
   QApplication a( argc, argv );
   // Must construct an instance of PlotWindow after QApplication.
   PlotWindow   * win = new PlotWindow( Argc, Argv );

   // Clean up Argv now that we are done with processing arguments.
   for ( int i = 0; i < Argc; ++i )
   {
       delete[] Argv[i];
   }
   delete[] Argv;

   delete win;
   return 0;

So the QApplication never gets explicitly used in this experimental
version of the code whose job is simply to test the PlotWindow
constructor and destructor without actually using the PlotWindow
instance for anything.  An additional important part of these
experiments is to make some changes to the destructor such as calling
plend from there.  And now I am going to test the effect of the
Qt::WA_DeleteOnClose attribute as well.

P.S. Something that just struck me is the above experimental code and
also the normal version of this code create the "a" instance of
QApplication on the stack.  So that instance should automatically be
deleted when the above code or the non-experimental version of this
code return from qt_example main routine.  So setting the above
attribute seems like overkill and, in fact, might cause a double free.
So at this stage I am hoping that not setting this attribute (as you
tried in your own experiment) is the key step required in fixing the
qt_example memory management.

More later.