On 2021-07-06 23:34+0100 António Rodrigues Tomé wrote:

[... I built] all the examples and the patch i send you now seems to work
very fine:

Same here so I pushed it.  See
<https://sourceforge.net/p/plplot/plplot/ci/cf04f2e6b555edab673a9703cea909d7239ce21b/>
for the substantially changed commit message that includes details of
the tests I ran.

Thanks very much for getting this revised version of your commit to work
without generating
the segfaults produced by the prior version.

P.s. Latter on I will try to understand how to deploy  pyqt5_example.

The missing Python library issue that was previously stopping you can
obviously be addressed by installing the right opensuse package.  But
finding the name of that needed package is more "an art rather than a science".

To help you with that "art" here are the equivalent details on my
Debian Stable platform.

# Find the names of all packages which include a partial filename
"libplplot*.so$"
# where ".so" with nothing further added is important since it is that exact
suffix the linker looks for.
irwin@merlin> apt-file search libpython |grep '\.so$' |less

There were 17 different possibilities, but one of those

libpython3.7-dev: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpython3.7m.so

referred to the development version of libpython3 so I am sure
that is the library that is needed, and I do have that package
already installed.  So I think this
result for Debian Stable means you need to install the development
version of either the python3 or libpython3 package (depending on how
opensuse organizes its package names and designates the name of the
development version of those).  Of course, opensuse will not have
the apt-file application, but it should have something equivalent so
that you can associate filenames with the packages (either installed
or not installed) that include those files.

After a successful build I confirmed that
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpython3.7m.so name as follows:

# Find the exact name of that library (at least for Debian Stable after a
successful build
of the python binding):

software@merlin> readelf -d bindings/python/_plplotc.so |grep -E 'PATH|NEEDED'
 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: [libplplot.so.17]
 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: [libpython3.7m.so.1.0]
 0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)             Shared library: [libc.so.6]
 0x000000000000001d (RUNPATH)            Library runpath:
[/home/software/plplot/HEAD/build_dir/src:]

Hope this working Debian Stable example helps you figure out what to do for
opensuse to gain
access to that distro's python3 library.

also going to try to see how i can force plplot to build with qt6 and then
one will know if this small patch is enough to deal with the next major
version of the qt,

Good luck implementing these important Qt6-ready goals for PLplot.

Research affiliation with the Department of Physics and Astronomy,
University of Victoria, Victoria, BC, Canada.

software package (plplot.org); the libLASi project