Sorry A., I am using MSYS2 (or Cygwin).
And I am not using the Visual Studio generator (at least
I didn't intend to do so).
I tried various -G options: "Unix Makefiles", etc. and got various
error messages, so thought I would just try once without it (i.e.,
the command as shown on the web site).
The error messages listed a bunch of generators and "Unix
Makefiles" seemed to be the only one in the list that made sense
to me.

I agree it must be my system that has a problem and I certainly
did not think there was a problem with plplot on Windows, in general. I
just don't know how to build it.

If anyone can sen me a cmake command that works for either MSYS2
or Cygwin, I would like to try it. When I successfully built plplot in
the past, I built a static lib and that is fine for my use now.

Thanks for the responses.

Walt Brainerd