Thanks Arjen for the suggestions. I always learn something from you.
However, I still can't get where I want.

With the plplot that comes with Msys2, execution hangs awaiting input.
If I type "1", it produces output on the screen. Also -dev works (Arjen).

Trying to build plplot with msys produces similar (or worse) results.

Trying build with cygwin, cmake produces the following lines multiple times.

$ "/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Cmake/bin/cmake.exe"
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=install -DENABLE_cxx=OFF -DENABLE_cxx=OFF
-DENABLE_qt=OFF ../plplot.git >& cmake.out

-- Configuring done
CMake Error in bindings/fortran/CMakeLists.txt:
  Evaluation file to be written multiple times with different content.  This
  is generally caused by the content evaluating the configuration type,
  language, or location of object files:

   C:/walt/Software/Plplot/BUILD/bindings/fortran/plplotfortran_ifort.def.sh

I am using the latest cmake (3.16.2) and the latest plplot. cygwin does not
have the latest Fortran compiler, but that shouldn't be a problem, should
it?
cmake.out is attached.

Any help would be appreciated. OW, I will just use the flaky msys plplot.

Thanks.

--
Walt Brainerd