On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Dirk Heiser wrote:

> Michael: How we handle the Versions numbering? Currently the Windows
> Package are named "Plucker-1.1.exe". The Changes for fix the new
> reported bugs affect only the installer itself and the "plucker-build"
> and "runSync.exe" Windows tools.

The problem we have here is that none of the tools you changed
are in CVS, i.e. nothing in the 1.1 package has really changed.

Making a change to the 1.1 branch and call it 1.1.1 wouldn't
work¸ since 1.1.1 has already been used in the main trunk (it
is now at 1.1.3).

How about naming the Windows package "Plucker-1.1-1.exe"? If
more changes have to be done to the _package_ you can use
'-2', '-3', etc.

The way we have assigned version numbers in the past doesn't
handle this kind of changes. Right now, the release branch is
merged with the main trunk when the package has been built and
released (David, maybe you could update the web site to reflect
the fact that 1.1 is out:) and after that the branch is removed,
i.e. all development continues in the main trunk and if bugs are
found in the released version they are fixed in the main trunk.

Good or bad, that's the way it works and it will continue to work
like that until someone comes up with a better solution ;-)

/Mike