Hi Folks,

Thanks for your continuing good work on plucker! I've been waiting for
this release with great anticipation because of the improved image
handling.

However, I've encountered serious problems in the latest release (1.1,
posted yesterday):

- No matter what I try, I just can't get it to display 2-bit grayscale
  (except for the downsized images in PluckerUserGuide.pdb). For
  example, when I pluck -H
  http://www.meteo.fr/temps/france/miniatmos/atmo_3804.xml
  --maxdepth=1, it tells me it's generating 4-color bitmaps, but the
  images displayed by my Visor are clearly b&w, not grayscale. The
  screen-depth preference or show-images setting don't seem to make a
  difference.

- When I pluck -H http://www-prima.inrialpes.fr/piater/ --maxdepth=1,
  my picture is included (as 2-bit grayscale) in the .pdb, but the
  viewer shows just a big blank area instead of the image. If I turn
  off image display, then I can view it by tapping the [img] tag, but:
  - again, it's b&w instead of grayscale,
  - the aspect ratio has changed to approximately square.

- When I use image_parser=netpbm, it calls pnmscale -xsize 150, which
  seems right because the image is slightly wider than 150 pixels.
  However, if I use image_parser=imagemagick, then it calls convert
  -colors 4 -dither -geometry 150x250 for the reduced (in-line)
  version, and -geometry 640x640 for the full-size version. This is
  what I set my alt_maxwidth/height to, but is clearly not the right
  aspect ratio!

- If I set the maxwidth/maxheight each to 100, then the reduced inline
  image is shown by the viewer, but at a wrong aspect ratio. The call
  causing this appears to be "pnmscale -ysize 100". The supposedly
  full-size image shown by tapping the in-line version is identical to
  the in-line version, not larger!

I have a Visor Deluxe, and run the plucker binary distribution under
Linux Mandrake 7.1. As root, I installed this version over 1.0 using
the unix/install-plucker script. On the visor, I installed the French
version over my previous English 1.0 version.

If you can tell me what I do wrong, or if you fix what is wrong, then
my satisfaction rate will rise to 100%!

Thanks,
Justus

--
Justus Piater                             Projet PRIMA
www-prima.inrialpes.fr/piater/            INRIA Rhône-Alpes