On Fri, Oct 19, 2001, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> Isn't there a way to do this without redrawing? We already know what
> percentage down in the document we are, so can't we just take the equivalent
> of that value (x,y) and stuff the contents into the clipboard?

Well, you can't copy the contents direct from the data stream -- that
would include all the different function codes, too.

However, you know the first visible paragraph and the position of the first
visible line in that paragraph, so I guess it should be possible to extract
the necessary text without rendering it to the screen.

> The other thing is, we should definately put some error trapping in
> here so we don't inadvertantly wipe out anything that may already be in the
> clipboard (a Plucker clipboard?).

If the option would say Copy then you really should expect the contents to
be copied to the clipboard (like for any other app).

However, it says "Copy to Memo" and, rightly so, it doesn't use the clipboard
for the copying.

> If I cut an address in a meeting, power off, an hour later launch Plucker
> and see some content I want to Copy, it should not stomp on my clipboard
> contents.

Why not? Do you expect that behavior from any other app? If you select a
menu item called "Copy", you should be upset if it doesn't put the copied
contents on the clipboard and not the other way around.

> Mike will say this is a user problem, and I agree, but we should
> still try to take some precautions to protect the user from themselves.

>From a source close to Mike I have been told that Mike wouldn't say that
at all ;-) The source also revealed that Mike doesn't need a spokesperson,
i.e. he can speak for himself ;-)

/Mike