> Adding #ifdefs would not cause a lot of pain; to support and test an
> unlimited amount of different versions will be a real PITA, though.

        $ make [lite, full]
        $ Is your handheld shown in the list below?
          [display a list of compatible handheld units here]

        It may be more pain for those that compile, but they're expected to
know what they're doing for the most part. I've talked to people that say
that they compile all their stuff with the same three commands in a script:
'./configure; make; sudo make install', and it makes me laugh.

        In any case, perhaps with a gui tool like Roberts, you pick which
handheld you use, and the appropriate viewer is selected, and the same can
be modeled in a script as well.

/d