I've been reading the HTTP and HTML specs about character sets.

The HTTP spec says, "If a page is of type 'text/*', and the HTTP headers
don't specify a character set, assume ISO-8859-1'.

The HTML spec says, "Don't follow the HTTP spec rules about the
default being ISO-8859-1", and "Use the HTTP-specified character set
first, if any, and after that the character set specified in the HTML
itself with a <META> tag".

Though I personally think that the in-document character set
specification should override the one specified in the HTTP headers,
I'm following those rules for HTML.  Does anyone know of any
interesting problems with those rules?

Bill