On Sat, Jun 22, 2002, David A. Desrosiers wrote:

> I've developed a need to determine/detect what type of compression

The first record in a Plucker document contains information about
the compression type (more info about this record is available in
DBFormat.html).

> The same holds true for what type of image value was
> selected when it was created (no images or {1|2|4|8|16} bpp).

A Plucker document doesn't have to use only one setting for the
images, e.g. in the same page one image can be included as a 4bit
grayscale image while another image can be in full color.

> Is there an easy way to do this

$ cat << EOF > type.awk
> /0000/ {
>   if (\$5 == 02)
>     print "ZLib"
>   else if (\$5 == 01)
>     print "DOC"
>   else
>     print "Unknown"
> }
> EOF
$ chmod u+x type.awk
$ pilot-file -r0 foobar.pdb | awk -f type.awk
ZLib

You would probably want a better solution, though ;-)

/Mike

--
"If we end up in court, I will bankrupt these guys."
- CEO at a fishy company (when told they infringe Plucker's license)