> I've just created a quick HTML page which reviews most of the major Palm
> e-Book formats (incl Plucker), and rates each against several criteria.
>
> Page is at http://www.freenet.org.nz/palm/ebook-software.html

Thanks for pulling this together, David.  Other readers or formats you
might want to cover are PDF (with Adobe's viewer), TomeRaider,
WordSmith, RichReader, DeepReader, HandStory, iSilo, TealDoc, Express
Reader, Documents To Go, and ZDoc.  See
http://www.memoware.com/?screen=help_format for a longer list.

It would be interesting (to me, anyway) to have a line indicating
whether or not images were supported.

Another line to indicate whether or not links are supported would be
useful.

And how about whether HTML can be used as the input format?

It would also be interesting to know whether or not the system is Open
Format -- that is, is the format documented so that books in that
format can be interpreted regardless of whether or not you have that
particular reader software?

> Please correct me if I've been guilty of any inaccuracy, or have
> represented Plucker unfairly.

I think the one cavil I'd make is with regard to "Doc creation progs
support embedded bookmarks (or dedicated TOC)".  All my Plucker books
contain a "dedicated TOC", so the distiller must support it.  See the
Plucker-format LIFE OF JOHNSON at memoware.com for an example.  I
think the "Let the user create links to generate a TOC as they wish"
used in Plucker is more flexible and powerful than any
built-into-the-format system could be.

OK, so maybe two cavils:

"People who value features and configurability above performance and comfort."

It's not exactly low-performance and/or uncomfortable to use.  It just
targets different needs.  Auto-scroll, I agree, effectively doesn't
work smoothly on existing PalmOS devices, but we expect it to work
quite well on the new generation of PalmOS devices coming out this
fall.  I personally don't use auto-scroll on my TRG-Pro (I don't find
the one in CSpotRun works well enough for that screen), and so don't
miss it.  But I'll try it again when I get my Tungsten.  Similarly,
the absence of some auto-generated TOC is hardly a "severe
limitation", particularly for what I use Plucker for -- my custom
documents, web pages, and ebooks.  I find I can't use any DOC-only
reader for these tasks -- links and images are a requirement.

By the way, I think this is true for everyone.  The only way in which
CSpotRun and/or Weasel will work for these three tasks is if you
drastically limit your expectations -- that is, re-define the task to
be one for which "dumb" text-only readers will work.  But that's
really cheating.

Bill