> > Any other ideas for handling extended text (beyond
> > 32k w/o the "click here for next part" etc) and graphics  (beyond 60kb)?
>
> I agree.  I think we should do something like adding some new record
> types to handle larger images and larger text segments.
>
> The larger images record type would point to a collection of image
> records, each a segment of the larger image.  It could include
> metadata such as the ALT tag, as well.
>
> For larger text, I think we should add logical page records.  A "page"
> would consist of a list of all the text records which make up the
> page, in order.  A viewer that understood the tour record would
> automatically trim off the "click here" elements, as is done in the
> GTK+ viewer, and present the segments as a single page.  Actually, we
> don't even need a new record type to do this; the GTK+ viewer is a
> proof of concept.  But the logical page record would make it easier to
> do on underpowered machines.

Wouldn't it be easier to add a new function type which is a jump over the
rest of the record seamlessly to some part of another record. If you put
this just in front of the "Click here..." and make it jump to just after
"Click here..." then current reader which don't understand it will continue
working as is and readers which do understand it can very efficiently just
carry on with the right record leaving out the "click here"s. IMHO more
efficient that introducing a new record type (but that is mostly because it
would be easier for me to implement 8^) ).

Cheers
Tim