> I use: automake 1.6.2 and autoconf 2.5.3... Are there any known bugs about
> this? Or this has been resolved in CVS; but I don't know how to get to
> there <sigh> Can anyone points me to there?

        Does it work with automake 1.5 and autoconf 2.5.2 on your system?

        I suspect 1.6.2 is what may be causing the problem here. automake
and autoconf 1.6/1.7 and 2.5.3 are *VERY* unstable currently, and are
considered alpha-level code.. and even the automake and autoconf maintainers
themselves suggest using automake 1.5 (or 1.4 for compatibilty) and autoconf
2.5.2 instead. Autoconf 2.5.2 and 2.5.3 are *INTENTIONALLY* incompatible
with each other, because the developers wanted to force people to upgrade.

        Try that and see how that works.

d.