On 8 Feb 2003 at 14:21, David A. Desrosiers wrote:

>       Very interesting threads going on related to "screen scraping"
> (basically unauthorized spidering). Worth a read, follow the threads:

My understanding wehen I looked at the rules over this issue, was that:

(1) If web content is posted the internet http:// on port 80, there is implicit
permission to
access it and read it locally. AFAIK deep-linking cases have never gotten off the
ground very
much, since it is the server's responsibility to redirect if they are coming from
somewhere
else.

(2) You can use whatever agent you want to download it (not just a well-known
webbrowser), even
agents that strip out ads, replace offensive words with asterisks, whatever you want.
If
someone wants to see their movie wearing sunglasses so the content they is filtered to
a darker
color, that is their fair use right.

(3) You just cannot redistribute the edited/scraped work without permission. There was
a home
movie company that is cutting out the violent scenes from movies to sell to families
with small
kids. I doubt they will survive. More likely, the original content producers will
start their
own DVD option, so they can sell more copies to viewers who want to watch as a family
with
small kids.

Best wishes,
Robert