There are two unicode functions, UNICODE16 and UNICODE32 implemented in
paragraph.c.  Since I've made a lot of changes to paragraph.c (fixing
sub/superscript code, and speeding up rendering a lot), I thought it
woould be nice to check if they still work.  Alex

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, JPluck wrote:

> > I need a document, ideally a .pdb, that I can test Plucker's unicode
> > handling on.  Does anyone have such a document?  Alex
>
> This is news to me. Since when does the Viewer support Unicode?
>
> The Plucker spec says that text data records contain a stream of ISO
> Latin-1 characters. This is only partially correct, because Palms with
> Western  European languages (English/French/German/etc.) use PalmLatin
> encoding, which is a derivative of Windows-1252. AFAIK, no Palm actually
>   supports strict ISO-8859-1 (Latin1). Note that ISO-8859-1 contains
> control characters in positions #129-#159(which are essentially useless
> on a PDA) whereas PalmLatin contains symbols such as the Euro sign in
> this section.
>
> Anyway, I tried writing out text using UTF-8 and UTF-16 and the
> documents all came out wrong in the Viewer. Actually I don't understand
> how the Viewer handles different character encodings(if it does at all).
> It displays different 8-bit encodings (Big-5, ISO-8859-2, KOI8-R) fine,
> as long as the font set on the Palm matches the character set. But
> variable-length encodings like UTF-8 or 16-bit encodings such as UTF-16
> do not seem to be supported.
>
> (I would take a look at the source code if I could, but the CVS and the
> entire plkr.org site seem to be down at the moment.)
>

> Regards
> -Laurens

Dr. Alexander R. Pruss  || e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Philosophy Department   || online papers and home page:
Georgetown University   ||  www.georgetown.edu/faculty/ap85
Washington, DC 20057    ||
U.S.A.                  ||