> I'm using Vade Mecum to read plucker documents, and I like the
> annotations and highlighting.  My once-trusty visor edge died, so I
> don't know if the official viewer does that or not.

Nope, this is Vade Mecum specific.

> I've looked at the Plucker DB Format, and it's not obvious to me how
> annotations are stored.  Is it possible to use distiller (or add the
> capability to distiller) to create a .pdb that includes annotations?

As above, it isn't part of the Plucker format and no distillers currently
support generating annotation information.  I imagine that this may be
theoretically possible to add to the distiller (depends on Mecum's
implementation), but it would be in a separate file, not part of the pdb.

There is an unimplemented internal bookmarks feature of the Plucker format
which would package bookmarks inside the pdb, but my guess is that this
feature wouldn't be sufficient for your purposes, and would require updating
the Vade Mecum client as well.

I've coveted Vade Mecum's highlighting and annotation features since Jamis
announced it on this list a while back, but I'd never switch to Pocket PC
for it. ;-)  I would be very pleased if someone implemented this in Plucker
proper.

> The reason I'm asking is because I have some plucker documents to
> which I would like to add LOTS of annotations and highlights.  I would
> also like to be able to easily backup the annotations and highlights.

You may be able to backup your annotations by just saving the relevant files
from the programs metadata folder.

> So I want write the text on my desktop (probably just hand-authoring
> xml), then have a distiller-like process to add the annotations and
> highlights to an existing .pdb.

I don't know if you can do this as a process separate from the distiller.
I'm assuming that Mecum saves record id & paragraph/character offsets to
associate the annotation with a passage in your Plucker document.  There's
no easy way to find this info without the distiller.

> Is this possible?  Or is it just plain stupid?  I'm fairly comfortable
> with Python, and I really like plucker.

Possible? Probably, if you're willing to code it. ;-) Good luck!

Dave.