You're talking about the SampleCollapse code, right?  I just checked, and
here's the license:

>  You may incorporate this sample code (the "Code") into your
>  applications for Palm OS(R) platform products and may use the Code to
>  develop such applications without restriction. The Code is provided
>  You are not permitted to redistribute the Code on a stand-alone basis
>  and you may only redistribute the Code in object code form as
>  incorporated into your applications.

I suspect this comes from two concerns, and they may be more likely
to relicense if you address them:

(1)  They want to lock you into the palm; you can't take their code and
make a similar program for PocketPC.

If this code is both small and heavily dependent on the Palm API,
it may not be useful on other devices anyhow.  So they might be
willing to dual license *this*, even if they are not willing to
do the same with larger programs like memopad.

Note that a dual license offers more flexibility than a relicense;
many of the "unwanted" users would be unwilling to open their own code
with GPL, and would therefore still be bound by the current license.

People using a BSD-style license can legitimately ship object-code
only, with a reference to where the source code can be found.

(2)  They want developers to register, so that they can brag about large
numbers, and maybe send you marketing stuff.

I suspect that the number of people who want to use the DIA but don't want
to register and don't need other tools (like the SDK, or ROM images) is
fairly small, and losing those few names might be worth it to improve the
available software.

-jJ