David A. Desrosiers wrote:

I'm going to replace the text/plain parser with a custom one that will (try to) parse chapter heads, italics etc. out of the plain text.

I'd be interested to see how you solve the context issue that has been brought up on the pg lists over the last year or so. Its a very complicated issue, and to date, nobody has solved it without trying to reinvent the base PG text format into something different.

I have the option of doing:

  pgtext > filter | PyPlucker > pdb

or

  to write a custom parser for PyPlucker.

The PG format has changed a lot over 30+ years. None of the 3rd-party tools I know is able to correctly parse all PG texts.

The custom text/plain parser I'm writing will plug into PyPlucker and do a very simple analysis of the text. I'm not aiming at a 100% or even 99% solution. I'm just trying to make the average PG text look good enough for distribution.

--
Marcello Perathoner