Portland Linux/Unix Group General Meeting Announcement

Who: Russell Senior
What: Part 1: A Network Relay via Cloud Instance ; Part 2: Retro Linux Tape Recovery Show and Tell
Where: 5500 SW Dosch Rd, Portland
When: Thursday, March 7, 2024 at 7pm (Help with chairs a few minutes early is always appreciated)
Why: The pursuit of technology freedom

https://pdxlinux.org

This is going to be a two-part talk, because each of the parts alone isn't enough to fill an hour (let's hope).

The first part is going to be a description of how I relay network connections from the Internet to my low-volume home-based email server to evade potential ISP blockages.

The second part is going to be a show and tell about my resurrection of an ancient Linux version in order to recover data from Quarter Inch Cartridge tapes and ancillary topics. It will also include a short demo of my MS-DOS 5.0 environment also (resurrected from tape) the month before I installed Linux for the first time in December 1992.

About Russell:

I am a person for whom the Year of the Linux Desktop started in 1992 and has continued annually, uninterrupted. I worked for a couple decades in scientific data management and analysis. Since 2005, I have been involved with the Personal Telco Project, a volunteer-based 501c3 non-profit trying to unscrew telecommunications policy in the Portland metropolitan area.  I did a short stint in data management for an Oceanographic organization when it was housed at OH&SU. I also volunteer at Portland State Aerospace Society working on their OreSat program. My name, misspelled in glorious circuit board silkscreen, has literally been in orbit for most of the last 2 years. I have done a bunch of PLUG talks over the years (scrolling through the log, I recognize these):

  2023-03-02 Anatomy of a mailing list meltdown
  2021-10-07 Russell's Excellent High Altitude Balloon Adventure
  2020-01-02 Reading wireless temperature sensors with RTL-SDR and rtl_433
  2019-02-07 PGP Key Storage with a Yubikey 4
  2018-02-01 How to get a Municipal Broadband network in the City of Portland   2017-05-04 Going Coastal, Russell's Excellent Adventure at the Center for Coastal Margin Observation and Prediction
  2013-06-06 Hacking on the Beagle Bone Black
  2008-11-19 OpenWrt, it's not just for Linksys Routers anymore
  2008-02-07 MetroFi: How Lame is It?
  2005-11-16 Mississippi Grant Project and Personal Telco
  2004-10-20 Detection of electromagnetic fields with Linux
  2003-12-17 Russell’s excellent hardlink adventure (disk-to-disk backup systems)

Rules and Requests:

Masks are encouraged but not required.

PLUG is open to everyone and does not tolerate abusive behavior on its mailing lists or at its meetings

Do not leave valuables in your car

Calagator Page: https://calagator.org/events/1250480986

Google Maps Link:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/5500+SW+Dosch+Rd,+Portland,+OR+97239

Some might head to Hillsdale Brewery & Public House near the Library:
https://www.mcmenamins.com/hillsdale-brewery-public-house

Rideshares likely available

PLUG Page with information about all PLUG events: http://pdxlinux.org/

Russell Senior