From: George Toft <geo...@georgetoft.com>
Subject: Re: OT: Internet Sales Tax Passes the U.S. Senate
To: "Main PLUG discussion list" <plug-discuss@lists.phxlinux.org>
Date: Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 11:06 PM

    What if . . .

      . . . this bill (if it becomes a law) forces people to sell on
      Amazon?  I sell on Amazon and I let them take care of the sales
      taxes.  I hate the commission, but that's the price I pay for
      leveraging Amazon's market presence and taking care of the
      administrivia for me.  The end result is I sell all over the
      country and Amazon takes care of the state sales taxes.

      I see this bill as an end to the small-timer and a shot in the arm
      for the big companies.

      As far as filling out the forms and reporting goes - I found
      filling out just one form (for AZ) a PITA and stopped selling
      locally.  I can't imagine doing it for 9600 (ebay's count)
      municipalities.

      Regards,

George Toft

      On 5/7/2013 6:16 PM, keith smith wrote:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-113s743es/pdf/BILLS-113s743es.pdf

              Yes, it requires taxes be paid to the state, however it
              does speak of rate changes at the local level.  It is a
              poorly written bill and it leaves the merchant in a
              position of needing to comply at the actual jurisdiction
              level.  In other words it will require collecting
              differing tax rates within a state based on location and
              the local taxing authority.  There will be compliance
              issue.  If you have ever collected sales tax you can get
              the jest of it, however on a much grander level.

              The bill talks about software.  What language?  What OS?
              What if I have everything in PHP on the web and I only run
              Linux or Apple and the software is compiled to run on M$
              only?  How to I interface this with my shopping cart?

              Basically this is a bill written by people who have never
              been in business and who could care less about us in the
              trenches.

              For me this is a substantial issue that could cause me to
              lose a client that could very well sell off because
              compliance is going to be a nightmare.

              Read the bill, it is very vague and leave everything to
              the states.  I see 50 different sets of compliance.  I see
              the requirement to have a tax license in every state.
              Even if they only charge $30 for a license that is $1500
              and what about all the time to contact each state, and
              complete all the docs they require.  Yikes.  It could take
              weeks just to acquire all the licenses.

              Then what about all the reporting on a monthly basis.
              This will be a huge burden.

              Please read the bill and assure me I am wrong, because I
              want to be wrong in this area.

              Keith Smith

              --- On Tue, 5/7/13, Dazed_75 <lthiels...@gmail.com>