I think people are trying to overcomplicate this issue asking about
commands like `file` and `type`.  There's only 2 things that matter for it
to try and execute without an absolute or relative path:

1. Is it in a directory in my PATH?
2. Does is have the executable bit on?

If you want to convince yourself of this try moving a binary file (maybe a
jpeg or png) into something in your path and setting it's permissions to
755, you'll get something like:

    paul@galactica $ nsa_smiley.jpg
    bash: /usr/local/bin/nsa_smiley.jpg: cannot execute binary file

It tries to execute the jpg file because the above criteria are met.  Larry
already showed he can run `bin/foo.sh` from within his home directory, so
the execute bit *is* set, therefore the only possible explanation is that
the particular shell he's using does not have `$HOME/bin` inside his path.

How to add that to your shell on startup can be a loaded question.  Using
bash on Linux the answer is put it in your $HOME/.bashrc file.  If you're
using a different shell I'd start with the man page of that shell.  Also
note that there's various things that could make the shell you're using
different that what's in `/etc/passwd` (which is the same as $SHELL) so the
value of $0 is likely what you want.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 4:32 PM, sean <sean.a.ritz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You only posted the output of which after sourcing .profile. Your
> non-login, interactive bash sessions are sourcing .bashrc. Export your path
> in there.
>  On Feb 27, 2014 5:29 PM, "Dazed_75" <lthiels...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You guys need to read the thread which already shows the output of which
>> and type.  Let's just drop the whole subject as all we are getting is
>> repeats of the same questions.

>>> by
>>> kill a
>>> not.
>>> Larry,
>>>
>>> Sean is asking for the output of the 'which' command, when it is passed
>>> the
>>> string 'killsol.sh' as an argument. You need to look at what he is
>>> asking you to
>>> type more closely.
>>>
>>> ie: $ which killsol.sh
>>>
>>> re: man which

>>> HTH
>>> --
>>> KevinO
>>>

>> --
>> Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry
>>
>> Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
>> multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove addresses
>> from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.

Paul Mooring
Operations Engineer
Chef