Thank you to everyone who replied. I really like Ubuntu as a server and run Mint on my desktop. I am trying to configure a server that will do Bind and Postfix+Dovecot+Spam Assassin.

I decided to go back to CentOS 7 because there is just too much to learn all at once. I have been working with CentOS for 7 years and am comfortable with it. I still have a lot to learn and thought I would learn one or two things at a time. I got Bind to work and now I am working on the mail server.

I may switch over in a year or so.

Thanks for all the pointers and feedback!!

On 2014-12-24 11:08, Michael Butash wrote:
On 12/24/2014 08:48 AM, Stephen Partington wrote:

i like the Ubuntu release cycle a great deal. they have a long term
support release, and then incremental releases on a stability and
then feature swing each year. this to me is a great model.

 I fell in love with Ubuntu from the 6.04 to 10.04 days after learning
to hate using RH in any linux environment I'd worked in, but after
10.04, it's pretty much just a lesser evil.  I like the release cycle
for a server, as rarely do I need anything bleeding edge there.  As a
desktop, it more or less sucks however.  More often than not, I find
that in order to fix some terrible bug annoying me, I have to upgrade
the distribution.  Not a big deal, but every release between 10.04 to
14.04 was a horrid process, almost always bricking my system in some
new, creative way and ruining gconf profile data that caused weird gtk
issues across the whole desktop even when I did get the system back.

The parts i did not like about red hat, even as a server, i spent
more time compiling applications than anything else and fiddling
them all into place. while educational its REALLY nice to have
repositories that do this for you. and yes there are a number of
bundled repositories you can bolt on to redhat/centos, but they
never quire gave me the breadth of access i ever needed so i was
back to building applications i wanted to use. in the end what i
wanted to do was just easier with debian, then ubuntu came up with a
much more modern installer and that was where i really became
comfortable. easy to use, and able to recognize 95% of all the
hardware i have ever thrown at it. and to top it off some of the
easiest and complete chunks of documentation and support.

 To this day, I find RH and Cent to still be dysfunctional in this
fashion, where anything in repos is so dated or horribly
buggy/unusable that isn't common application, you end up compiling it
yourself.  Then I get taken back to 1999 and get reminded of when I
learned the term "dependency hell" that old solaris guys used to joke
about RH being "immature", but this is still common.  Anything newer
you might want to compile will require you update enough of the os
you'll likely break old and new system components alike, ending up
with some broken abortion of an os in the process.

 The equivalent in debian-ish builds is breaking apt trying to force
in 3rd party packages out of necessity.  Luckily Ubuntu tends to keep
somewhat modern that you don't end up having to rebuild the os to
compile something, where I've generally had good luck doing that when
needed, but finding compiled packages for new software is a crapshoot.

 Throw in a GPU for desktop use (or specialized network nics with
vendor-provided blob drivers), and you create all sorts of new
adventure trying to find a stable driver build that works with
anything but a "stable" release on any distro.  So much time is spent
working around xorg these days to make buggy software like compiz work
(you know you *need* wobbly windows), ubuntu often outpaces the gpu
vendors, especially amd to make a driver work in anything newly
release should you *need* to upgrade distributions.

 It's about impossible to win these days with a general solution for
everyone, both server and desktops.

I guess what i am saying this is likely a similar path that allot of
people have taken, and this is giving ubuntu its real market share.

 I'd tried recently mint, fedora, and cent as an out from Ubuntu,
finding all to be horribly buggier for my needs than Ubuntu.  I
simply fell back into complacency, figuring out a way to live with
ubuntu again with a clean build until the next release cycle breaks it
again.  At least canonical didn't ruin their netinstall iso, yet.

 -mb