This is (at least part of) your problem:
/usr/bin/showtext
bandit26 has an invalid shell.
Turn that into /bin/bash (or some other shell)
ET

Michael Havens writes:
bandit25@melinda:~$ grep bandit26 /etc/passwd
bandit26:x:11026:11026:bandit level 26:/home/bandit26:/usr/bin/showtext
if possible don't figure it out for me..... help me to figure it out.
     For instance: I understand the grep command but why are we issuing it?
As for the output of that command:
bandit26:x:11026:11026:bandit level 26:/home/bandit26:/usr/bin/showtext
user:passwd:UID:GID:?:?
After I looked up the password file I was inspired to grep
/usr/bin/showtext but after entering it it just hung.