I had some very strange issues running qemu/kvm with ubuntu, lacked the
time to track it down and had to move on to a different solution. I cannot
say it was qmeu/kvm or what, but that whole project was scrapped.

MAde me sad too, because proxmox and ceph were exceeding neat to manage.
but if my VM's get wonky and have issues then i cannot use that solution.

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 1:21 AM, Michael Butash <mich...@butash.net> wrote:

> Curious if anyone is using (successfully) ubuntu 14.04 with kvm,
> virt-manager, qemu, spice, etc.
>
> I ask because out of frustration with commercial vendors not supporting
> virtualbox (meh oracle, can't blame em), and finally trying kvm now as they
> have an image for that, just to launch this darn thing.  KVM is pretty new
> to me, or modern iterations of it, and it incessantly refuses to import or
> build a vm, seemingly due to an issue with this spice reporting it's not
> built in.  Seemed an easy enough install on the surface....
>
> Did some research, spice as the graphic acceleration for console video was
> new to me, seems more of a pain than worth, but I can't seem to work around
> it and simply not use it.  The module is there, yet the binary reports it's
> not, no one else complains on teh googles since 12.04 with the last major
> bug, but this simply refuses to work.  The old references from 12.04 just
> indicate it had to symlink a different binary, the scripts were just broken
> with hard references, but that isn't the case.  This simply says spice
> isn't built into it, when every other thing seems to indicate it is.
>
> Tracking it back, some suggestions were to use the vnc lib vs. spice, and
> that starts complaining that I think ubuntu screwed up the apparmor profile
> as it's denying when I attempt the vnc display profile.  Removing apparmor
> just breaks libvirt and causes a segfault internally without apparmor hook
> completion.  I ended up wasting a better part of today, and finally giving
> up in frustration, just to get a stinking f5 load-balancer appliance to
> boot.
>
> Ugh.  Starting to hate ubuntu again, and f5.
>
> Anyone at all use ubuntu 14.04 with kvm successfully with or without these
> quirks?  Weird I don't see any trace of the same issues from others, but
> really can't see how this is something I did wrong following from a few
> diff "how to" guides on ubuntu 14.04 was was just installing packages and a
> re-login for group perms.
>
> -mb

Stephen