I almost always create 2 cores for most minimum configurations when
available in any virtual environment. but in the case of a VPS it really
matters how well your stack handles multi-threading and if you expect to
have enough load to saturate a core.

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 1:01 PM, Keith Smith <techli...@phpcoderusa.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering what your opinion is on cores and RAM when using a VPS.
>
> I am thinking about this in the context of Drupal and Magento, both of who
> are resource hogs.
>
> I was told more RAM is much more valuable on a VPS than is the number of
> cores.
>
> I'm assuming 4G of RAM is enough to not go into swap.  I'm thinking this
> should be fine for a production site with moderate traffic running either
> Drupal or Magento.
>
> As you know more cores means more money when it comes to VPS servers,
> while RAM is cheap.
>
> Of course we know opcode cache, varnish, and memcache(d) can work wonders
> in speeding up websites. For this discussion lets assume we are using none
> of them.
>
> The question is, will a second core make all that much difference if
> enough RAM is present to not use swap?  How would I know I need a second
> core - look at the load?
>
> And is there other consideration or things I should be looking at?
>
> Thank you very much for all your feedback!!
>
> Keith

Stephen